Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Definition of Family

I walked outside into the bright sunshine and heat to a sight that brought a smile to my eyes. It was the sight of familiar faces and voices laughing,visiting and enjoying one another's company. I saw my children in the midst with happy countenances, surrounded by people who care about them. A lump formed in my throat as I thought that this may be our first and last picnic with this family. Sounds much like a family reunion, but it is not. It is our church family. One of the definitions in the American Heritage Dictionary states that a family is"a group of things with common characteristics." Sounds like the perfect definition for a church family ,with the common characteristic being our Lord Jesus Christ. Being 6 hours from our families was hard, harder than anything I have ever experienced, yet God blessed us with this wonderful church family and proved Himself faithful yet again that He knows all our needs. This "family" took us in, even as strangers over a year ago, cared about us and have etched themselves upon our hearts. When Terry lost his job, the outpouring of support and prayers was unbelievable. Yes, the definition of family doesn't necessarily have to be about flesh and blood, but one that you praise and thank God for nonetheless!! On a more humorous note, Dalayna used to call them our "fake" family:)

2 comments:

  1. What a comfort it has been to us, your "real" family, to know that you have been so loved and reached out to by your "fake" family. God is so good. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun it was to look at all your pictures and postings Dawn! You are doing a great job and tell Colby that his art work is the best! I am so glad that you started this blog so now I can keep track of your family! I am so glad to hear that God has blessed you with a wonderful church family! I know you are loved, but always remember how much your "blood" family loves you also! Miles will never change that! Brett it getting ready to move to Champaign, so I hope he will have the same feelings about his new church family! Love ya - deb

    ReplyDelete